Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Modern Cloth Diaper

Cloth diapers. They are nothing like the old, dingy, hard-to-use diapers that come to your mind. Modern cloth diapers are actually very easy and, well, CUTE! They go on and come off just as easily as disposables, except they are much softer and less crinkly! I only wish I had known I would fall in love with this "fluff" when I was pregnant!

Before I had Wesley, I had no idea how cloth diapers have changed. I thought they were nasty, stinky, ugly things that nobody used anymore. I didn't even discover the modern cloth diaper until Wes was about 4 months old. I was on a website for mom's called "Babycenter" and I saw pictures of these adorable, fluffy butts. I almost couldn't stand how cute some of these diapers were! I started asking questions. I asked other cloth diapering moms how much work it was to use them, how horrible the laundry was, why they chose to use them...... and I liked their answers.

I then started my research. The overload of information on cloth diapers is mind-boggling! I spent a whole week trying to figure out which kind of diapers I would most like, how I would wash them, and most importantly, how to convince Ray! I finally figured it out, convinced Ray, and ordered my first nine diapers: Happy Heinys.

Never would I have thought I would be so excited to get diapers in the mail, but let me tell you, I dug into that package like it was Christmas! I couldn't wait to get them washed and try them out! After they were all washed and ready I hesitantly put the first one on Wes. I waited, and waited, and waited, and was amazed when I found that he had peed in it, but it had no leaks! I also no longer had to worry about the chemicals in diapers causing a rash on Wesley's bottom. Since making the switch he has very seldomly gotten any diaper rash. I was hooked from the very first use.

At four months old, Wesley was still exclusively breastfed, and he had some nasty, runny poops. Everytime he pooped in a disposable it would result in a "poonami". The poop would inch up his back, out his thighs, and seep onto whatever clothing he was wearing at the time. It was horrible. Since we have switched to cloth would you believe me if I told you he has never once leaked poop out of his diaper? Well believe it, for it is true. We have had a couple pee leaks here and there, but never a poo.

Cloth diapering is not for everyone, but it really is so much better and easier than it once was. Washing them is a breeze, and putting them on your baby is easier than you could imagine. By cloth diapering you can save SO much money! I have spent under $400 for diapers, and I will never have to buy diapers again, not even for my next kids! Most people will spend at least $1500 in disposables...PER kid! I love putting a fresh, clean, fluffy diaper on Wesley's butt, if you give it a try, you may love it too!

1 comment: